Friday, June 12, 2009

Indian Barber

In Malaysia, we kids used to go to these Indian barbers for our haircuts. Of course, I didn't like the idea of letting an indian cutting my hair (We were brought up with the myth that the Indian police would take us away if we didn't listen to our parents you see). I still remember the special Indian perfume, the "Lao Fu Zhi & Doreamon" comics, other kids crying, thinking that they couldn't get away from the barber, adults getting shaves by the barber using a little blade and the unique "pakpalakpakpak" massage.

Today, I still enjoy going to the Indian barber. Everything in it is full of their unique culture and I enjoy the colourful experience the cut brings me. Two days ago, I went to this Indian barber. What's so special about this trip was that the barber lower the chair and wanted to give me a shave without asking me. I'd always said no to them. But this time, I thought of trying it for once, just for the experience. Boy, was I nervous. My hands got cold when I saw him inserting the razor into his blade. It wasn't the Gillete shaver that I'm used to... It was a blade. There it went... Shaving cream on, misai gone, just like a lamb sent of shaving. The best part was the splashing on of the Indian aftershave. Ouch! I love that part! And of course the"pakpalakpakpak" massage.

No comments: