Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Guitar Review: Takamine ED26SC

I just got myself a Takamine ED26SC and I just have to write a review about it. There are almost no reviews on the internet about this wonderful guitar. I guess it's because they only have this model in Asia, lucky me :) Go to this Takamine website for the specs: http://www.takamineguitars.jp/guitars/model.php?series_id=2&model_id=63

I got this guitar at C&M Music Centre in Johor Bahru, Malaysia for RM1,350. What caught my eye in this guitar is the rosewood back and sides. The spruce top and rosewood body combination has always been my top interest as many top models hold this formula. I tried the guitar comparing it with the other spruce top and mahogany body ED21SC. I loved how the rosewood version sounds. The mahogany version sounds nice but plain and kinda "thin". The rosewood version adds in a very nice bass element and it really gives flavour to my tunes. Another thing I like about this guitar is the satin finish to the neck. I don't like playing gloss finish necks as the sweat makes it oily and prints fingerprints all around.

Overall, the ED26SC is a gorgeous looking guitar. The action is low and comfortable to play with. Sound is loud and beautiful unplugged and even better when plugged in to a amplifier. It also comes with a built-in tuner that comes in handy when going around. I like this guitar. For the price, it's a very good buy. Anything better will cost you at least RM400 extra.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andy

I am getting the guitar like yours
but I have to trust my ears first,
I have a cedar solid top with mahogany sides Antonio Lorca and
it sounded too funky for a classical guitar, it has forward and bright sound now I am looking
for a country guitar for strumming so i am testing the other model you mentioned. Daniel

Andy said...

The one you are interested in testing is the ED21SC, the mahogany version of this guitar. I compared it with the rosewood version that I now own. I like the feel of the neck and the smooth sound that mahogany back and sides give when you strum it. Hope you enjoy the guitar.

Tidal said...

Hi Andy, Very good review. I am on the same page with you.. couldn't find a review on D series. Now I am happy to read yours.. love the way this guitar sounds.. I should get one

Anonymous said...

Usually I don't read article on blogs, however I would like to say that this
write-up very forced me to take a look at and do it!
Your writing style has been surprised me. Thank you, quite great post.


My website - great divide guitar reviews