Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Balance b/d for year 2007

I guess after resting for 8 months, I think it's good to recap what I have done for the past year.

Early 2007, I was handed Melacca together with Johor, which I was already in charge of. It was very challenging. Both because of geographical reasons and because no one was in charge of Melacca for a very long period of time. Johor is a very big state, Melacca didn't have an airport. Traveling around was crazy.

Then, the calling to quit came in May. The change was dramatic. Before, I was this executive who was buzzing from JB, BP, Muar, Segamat, Melacca, and KL. All work, seldom at home. After I quited, pace of life calmed down, and at some point, laid-back.

I went to learn diving. Been to Tioman and Redang, beautiful islands. Climbbed mount Kinabalu. Picked up guitar. Almost went to learn dancing (went to dance on stage for Jen's wedding, ha!). Went to China, lived with the village people. Went to enjoy the sceneries and FOOD of Taiwan. Had lots of rest. Had quiet time to read the Bible, and to walk with God. Chaired the Christmas event. Got myself a girlfriend.

Now, as I look back, God has been good to me. I've always believed that one must always have something to do, something to hope for and someone to love. By letting go of my job, which I struggled, it was going well and was something that proved my worth. By letting go of something seemingly so important to me but little to God, God has blessed me with all three things I have always wanted. There will always be something to do, but not always something to hope for and someone to love. And that hope comes from God and God alone. Hope comes from focusing on God, trusting he will do His part as long as I do mine.

Just a little shift in focus makes a whole lot of difference. Focusing on men will never satisfy, never brings peace, always disappointing. Focusing on God answers all doubts, brings contentment, gives peace.

Jesus says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

No comments: