Monday, July 14, 2008

Nuts in the City

The city, a place away from the pastures, clear streams, and fresh air. It’s where people forget about the clear blue sky, the sparkling stars, the cool afternoon breeze, and the best that nature has to offer. There’s bound to be some underlying problems to be had.

Last Weds, my colleague and I went over to Novena for some Indonesian food. I’m not going to comment about the food though; it’s what happened before we entered the restaurant, a toilet break. You know, most guys don’t stand next to each other when we pee. There was this weirdo guy who used the latrine between us. I didn’t know any of this until my colleague told me after we got out of the toilet. This weird fellow was looking at me, and licking the toilet wall. Yes, you read me right, looking at me, and LICKING the DIRTY toilet wall, hell! There’s something about city folks. Many of us have some kind of problem, one way or another. We are too busy, too stressed, too tired, too focused, too not-to-be-bothered that we forget to care, whether for our friends, or our beloved family. This week, I’ve seen many adults who are emotionally dwarfed. I have a friend that pulls successful people that she knows of out of the bag in every single topic we chat about, expensive things she possesses, nice places that she visited, etc to put up to nice front. I’ve noticed that she never ever speaks about her own self. That’s pathetic, that’s self-denial, and that’s common in the city, where parents are too busy to care. Parents play a big part everyone’s life, and if parents don’t play the part of a parent, many problems arise, and it takes many many years to heal, if ever. There’s another friend that I cannot speak to her in love and truth. She cannot take raw facts. She says it reminds her of her mum who denies her of everything that she does since young. And when I tell her things that I think she’s done wrong, the memory reminds her of how her mum treated her. How much she yearns of people’s approval? How much she hates being denied? And how much she yearns for love? There are a lot more that I can write of, they are a lot of love this place needs. How can I help?

No comments: