Tuesday, October 29, 2013

How Long to Forget How to Walk? With Reflections

A friend once told me that she forgot how to walk in 3 weeks. For me, it took only 2 days. I tore my right ankle ligament 2 days ago and started to use crutches yesterday. As I got up of bed this morning, I stood beside it for 5 minutes, I froze. I couldn't walk. Not that I didn't want to, I just couldn't. I did some testing to see if I was alright. I shifted my body weigh on the injured foot and it felt alright. I told myself that it's going to be fine, just lift the left leg and start walking, easy! I couldn't. I dared not lift my left leg, even though the full body weight was already on my right foot. I am afraid, petrified of how this injury hurt me. The pain caused by this injury somehow taught my muscles to avoid using my right leg. It took me several more minutes to give courage to my left foot to leave the ground. And when it finally did, it did so in tiny baby steps.  At least I'm moving, I told myself. I was sure that since the right foot could take on my full body weigh, I could walk. I took more risk and took bigger steps, putting my injured right foot to the task. After just a few steps, I was walking again. Slowly, but walking. 

I learnt something today. We are haunted by our past experiences, whether it be mistakes, failures, etc. It freezes us stiff. Moving forward reminds us of that pain. We pause in hope that time will heal. We tell ourselves that we can do it, giving ourselves some facts and evidence that it's going to be ok. And yet we still stand stiff. At this moment, some encouragement is much needed. Family and friends make this a lot easier. And as we take the first steps, doubts flood in our minds, challenging us. It is persistently taking bigger steps that we find sufficient courage to go on. And as we go on, we pick up confidence along the way. 

So, if you are haunted by your past, and that freezes you. You are not alone. We all face this one day or another. Take some time off, compose yourself, get some courage and move on, starting with baby steps. Keep going, the rest will find its way to you. Good luck and God bless. 

1 comment:

北猫 said...

I like this sharing.